Photo via Getty Images, Xiao Lu Chu
If you follow my Instagram page then you already know that I was chosen as a Columbus Sister Cities International 2015 Athlete Ambassador to China. Many of my close friends are Asian so I am so honoured and happy that I will be traveling to China in October as a Columbus Athlete Ambassador. To donate to my ambassador trip, please click here.
My upcoming trip to China will definitely be a big highlight in 2015. I’ve always envied Tom for running so many races across the U.S. and the world and now, I will finally get my chance. I thank God 🙂
In collaboration with the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Columbus Marathon, 11 athletes were chosen to travel to 3 respective countries to represent the city of Columbus, Ohio. the 3 countries are: China, Germany, and Brazil. The runners going to Germany are actually going through the Dresden Sister Cities group.
I found out in early July that I will be going to Hefei, China to run the 2015 Hefei International Marathon. I will be running the half-marathon distance and the race is on 25 October. I am super excited to be running a race abroad and to be chosen as an Athlete Ambassador. This trip will be very special because my birthday is on 20 October so I know I will have a great celebration in CHINA.
Here are some other facts about this Sister City trip:
- this is a 5 day sponsored trip (Nationwide Children’s Hospital will cover part of each Athlete’s travel airfare)
- each Athlete will stay with a host family in their respective countries
- the host families in all 3 countries all offered to host each Athlete without any additional cost to the athlete
- all race costs and fees will be covered for each athlete including a post-race celebration
- each Athlete went through an application process and were selected to participate on the trip
- each Athlete will tour and learn about the city they are visiting
After staying in Hefei for 5 days, I plan to travel to Beijing, China. I told myself that I couldn’t visit Asia for the 1st time without seeing The Great Wall of China so I’m super excited to tour the city of Beijing. I will most likely stay in Beijing for 3-4 days then head back to America.
- Most importantly, I can’t wait to see my friend Kitty who lives in Hong Kong and my other friend Lijen, who lives in Taiwan. I haven’t seen them in over 6 years.
Photo via Wikipedia.
What countries have you traveled to recently or in the past? Have you ran a race abroad before?